Monday, August 16, 2010

Keeping the lid on


Sometimes after you have opened a home canned jar it's nice to be able to close it up for storage without using a metal canning ring. Caps are also nice when you have vacuum sealed a dry product such as rice in a glass mason jar and want an extra bit of protection on top of the canning lid. Also helps to keep the canning lid from rusting if you happen to store the vacuum sealed jar in a cellar. Caps are also great for sealing jars for freezer storage.. Beware frozen caps are brittle.
Caps pictured above are; white - Ball brand something like under $4 for 6. I use them on my 1940's glass canister jars for counter storage since white matches my decor. If I could have found 50's pink well then I'd be a happy June. The bright blue are from Aldis mayo, darker blue from Aldis peanut butter (could be the other way around), red also gotta be from Aldis, dark blue top of pic reads Hellman's Mayo (snagged from an empty jar @ work), yellow rings were in a box of jars I bought @ a tag sale. Love those. Have never seen them for sale retail.
Drop a line if you know where to buy them. I won't since I'm ghetto cheap but it would make me happy to know that they can still be had.
~~ pelenaka ~~

P.S.  10/11/2010 - The head Goat Gal & owner over @ Harper Hill Farm which produce some of the best Goat Milk Soap sent me this link for those plastic screw on lids that have the center cut out. Scroll down almost to the bottom of the page you'll find them.

9 comments:

  1. I use the Ball plastic lids with fermented foods since the acidity wreaks havoc with metal lids. Like you, I also discovered some plastic lids from other glass jars will fit on canning jars, but I think I tossed some of those before the move. I'm still not completely organized, though, so they might turn up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smiling to myself since 10 years after moving from Fresno area to here I stll have unpacked boxes in the attic. Now when I go up & rifle thru this an that I am always amazed at the great stuff I find be it a lamp or wooden curtain rods from Mexico, since I had forgotten about purchasing the item.
    Do we ever really completely organize our home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never taken as long to unpack and organize as this time is taking me. Then again, life has never thrown quite this much at me in such a short span of time, either. If I'm not unpacked and organized in 10 years, though...that stuff needs to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. K, she who hasn't hit the 10 year mark. True that Chili, but just the act of tossing out stuffs requires a certain amount of organization.
    Besides when I pass what will my children have remember me by, if not an attic full of out grown snow pants & size 3 cocktail dresses with matching purses ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few plastic rings like the yellow ones in your picture and I love them! The problem is they were given to me and I can't find them anywhere for sale. If anybody knows of a place to buy them please do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone who see tghe pic of thgose bright yellow screw on plastic rings says that same thing. That the ones they own just appeared in a box or were thrown in with a score of canning stuffs from a yard sale.

    Lehman's are you listening? But please don't charge us an arm & leg. We're real homestead canners not retro foodies going thru their Amish phase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colored rings in various sizes for cross-stitch would be nice. Very hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Pelenaka,

    I saw your post on Amazon and wanted to see how you did this. I have such a long way to go. :)

    Lori Renee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Lori to my blog, this is a learn as I go method ;=)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, good to know there are other's with this interest