Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Rocket Canning Stove version #1

K, here's my story as to why I haven't built the 1983 MEN's Canning Stove.
L&S (long & short) of it is - 1) want to reuse portions of my old canning stove, 2) the new stove must be able to be disassembled easily (think surprise city code inspection or insurance company), and 3) I don't think that my Amish canner will tolerate the high temps if it is submersed down into the fire pit. Although I could easily find 3 used Granny ware canning pots cheaply I want to use my Amish canner. I paid for it I want to use it.
I haven't given up on the idea completely. In the mean time produce needs to be canned.
Below is my first attempt at designing a rocket canning stove with limited sucess . Fired up easily but extreme difficulty in getting my 15 quart Amish canner to obtain a rolling boil. After a few hours of burning a variety of materials such as 108 year old lathe, seasoned maple branches, elderwood, then finally oak I put a grannyware canning pot on to boil on my kitchen range - 1949 Hotpoint.

Watched pots & all that ... 7 pounds of organic blueberries.

Fire pit made with 3 cinder blocks & capped off with 3 pavers. Lined with firebrick (beige rectangular bricks), borrowed from Hubby's blacksmith forge. Some would say that I have balls since he was out front running his chain saw on Maple that he dragged home from the city yard waste. I prefer to say I can do no wrong in his eyes. That's what I prefer to say.

Next I laid the old canning stove top down on the pit. I should have laid a thick layer of wet sand on the rectangular pavers to form a gasket. I also should have placed the bricks farther apart making the fire pit wider.

Reuse was the word of the day. A&P coffee can rigged into a coupling. The galvanized duct pipe on it's last leg. Dang my stove needs polish!

Before I give up on this version any suggestions ?

~~ pelenaka ~~

2 comments:

  1. I want to build a rocket stove too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you build one that works can I come over & can on it ?
    BTW your homestead is looking sweet !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, good to know there are other's with this interest